The primary focus of the collection is on clinical resources that support the Perelman School of Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
This policy describes the Medicine collection which is housed in the Biomedical Library. The primary focus of the collection is on clinical resources that support the Perelman School of Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania Health System. That focus is primarily electronic resources such as journals and point of care tools.
The collection also works in collaboration with the Biomedical Research collection and both serve as the main drivers of what is to be considered the Biomedical Library collection.
The Perelman School of Medicine was founded in 1765. For nearly 150 years, the physicians and students relied on the Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. In 1931, the rotunda of the Medical Laboratories Building (now the Morgan Building) was set aside for a Medical School Library. (The name was later changed to Biomedical Library.) The collection was formed by the merger of several departmental libraries and the personal collections of several faculty members. Acquisitions for the Medical Library focused on the basic sciences and research needs of the Penn medical community. It was understood that the clinical information needs of the staff were handled by the HUP departmental libraries and, from 1952, by the consolidated HUP Library. In 1987, the HUP library was closed and its unique holdings were transferred to the Biomedical Library. As a consequence, the Biomedical Library was charged with providing a clinical as well as a research collection. Since the early '90's emphasis in the Health System has been placed on expanding its already extensive clinical programs.
- Arthur Bernstein Cardiology Library Fund
- Barton Hirst Lippincott Memorial Fund for Acquisitions in Biomedicine
- Biomedical Library Fund
- Class of 1948 Medical School
- Dr. Adolph E. Schecter Memorial Fund
- Dr. D. Sergeant Pepper Memorial Fund
- Dr. William McDowell Mastin Fund
- Esther K. and Maxwell Sillman Fund
- Gail and Warren Lieberfarb Mental Health and Neuroscience Library Resources Fund
- Harold Lefkoe Memorial Book Fund
- John Morgan Society Fund
- Louis B. Flexner Medical Book Fund
- Murray Galt Motter Memorial Fund
- Patrick B. Hughes and Anne Gaydosh Hughes Memorial Fund
- President Emeritus Martin Meyerson Fund
- Samuel Bellet Book Fund
- The Frances Houston Medical Book Fund
- Thomas B. Holloway Medical Book Fund
- William Pepper Medical Library Fund
Melanie CedroneCollections Librarian & Biology Liaison email@example.com
Jen Lege-MatsuuraMedical Research Librarian firstname.lastname@example.org
Maylene QiuSystematic Review Coordinator and Clinical Liaison Librarian email@example.com
Carlos RodriguezHead, Patron Services (Biotech Commons) firstname.lastname@example.org
A more complete list of databases and other resources can be found on the Biomedical Library homepage.